‘We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals… For the animal shall not be measured by man [sic]. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.’ Henry Beston
- Like me, you love animals and care about their welfare
- You are shocked to hear that globally we eat around 57 billion land animals per year
- You don’t want to contribute to this scale of suffering
- You’re concerned about health
- You’re aware that meat-eating contributes to climate change, water pollution, soil erosion and hunger
- You’re a meat-eater who wants to switch
- You’re already lacto-vegetarian but feel uneasy about it
- You’ve thought about going vegan but are not sure about the implications
- You need comprehensive info on veganism
- You would value support in this journey
then welcome to this site. It’s new, and there is much material to upload – please come back!
4 thoughts on “57 BILLION animals”
Thank you Roselle for creating this space. As a veggie who tries her best to be vegan, this website, I’m sure, will be such a help and support.
Keep up the good work. Chris x
Warm smile to you, Chris, for this comment. Thank you. And see you in April! x
I like your quote, Roselle. Interesting how some of the phrasing has become outdated and some perennial! I would like to see non-human life being the next ’emancipation’ (‘man’ again’!) – respected for their inherent rights and not viewed as ‘resources’. Best wishes for this venture.
Thank you, Cicely. Yes – archaic language; he copyrighted the book that came from in 1928! The sentiments don’t change, though; but we do also seem poised on the brink of a world that is more aware, these days, of the implications and hypocrisies in relation to eating animals.
Yes, we are well overdue the next great liberation – of the animal realm… All best, R.