- Like me, you love animals and care about their welfare
- You also feel uneasy that there’s a discrepancy between your loving them and eating them
- You are shocked to hear that globally we eat around 57 billion land animals per year, and one trillion aquatic creatures (source Gary L Francione; see below for current figure, much higher)*
- You don’t want to contribute to this scale of suffering
- You are aware of the environmental impact of animal farming (it takes 10.5 times as much land to feed people on a meat-based diet as on a vegan one)
- You’re already lacto-vegetarian but feel uncomfortable about it, as it doesn’t go far enough, and you’ve thought about going vegan but are not sure about the implications
- You’ve other reasons for cutting meat and dairy consumption, like personal health
- You need comprehensive info on veganism
- You would value support in this journey
then welcome to this site. It’s still embryonic (it was my main commitment to animal welfare for 2016), and there is much material to upload – please come back!
I very much welcome contributions to this site: guest blogs, recipes, information, anything you consider to be relevant. I want it to be a supportive community site. Please do get in touch via the contact form.
NEWS: I’m currently writing a cookbook on plant-based sustainable living, which is why (combined with much work in relation to other writing projects and courses) this site is rarely updated. I’ve also a developed a lot more recipes, but again I need to find time to re-organise the way I present material; please bear with me.
‘We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals… For the animal shall not be measured by man [sic]. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.’ Henry Beston
‘Auschwitz begins whenever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they’re only animals.’~ Theodor Adorno.
* I’ve since read that the figure stands closer to 77 billion animals per annum now, in 2018; 2.7 trillion aquatic creatures.